Sunday, November 3, 2013

Special Topic



My dad often calls me a "Space Cadet".  This of course refers to the long periods of time I spend staring into space while my mind is somewhere different than the rest of my body.  At school, lots of people ask me if I am sad, or upset. They see that I am staring off into the distance with a melancholy look on my face and they think something is wrong.  While this is understandable, it is not true.  I am simply lost in my mind.  I daydream all the time, probably once per class at school. I don't zone out because I don't care about the class, my mind simply wraps itself around a new topic and I forget about everything else.  This is something I have done for years and I have always wondered why I do it.  I chose this as my special topic because I want to find an understanding for why I get so lost in thought and how to avoid it at times when I need to be focused.

I believe that when I zone out it is to a degree that is worse than most people.  For example, one night I was playing Xbox and started thinking about something.  All of a sudden, I was just sitting in the dark.  I felt like I had actually been asleep.  While I was daydreaming I had actually turned off my Xbox and T.V. and then sat there for a while without even realizing what I was doing.  It was the weirdest thing ever and was hard to explain to the people I had just been playing Xbox with.  The worst time that being trapped in my mind affects me is at night.  I'll be almost asleep and then something will enter my mind.  Then it's a good 2 or 3 hours of sitting up or pacing around the room contemplating this thought until I am able to sleep.  Needless to say this really sucks when I have to wake up early for school the next day.. thank God for late start days.

I do not know much about why I seem to get stuck in my thoughts so severely, other than it seems to be worse than the average person.  Another interesting idea is that, even though he criticizes me for it, my dad does the same thing.  My dad has been known to fall into these long periods of intense thought in the shower.  Many times my mom has to tell him to get out when he loses track of time and takes very long showers.  I don't think that I inherited this from him, but it's an interesting thought.  It doesn't seem like something that could be inherited.

I do my best to stay busy so that this problem doesn't affect me as much.  Sometimes it comes about in a really bad time such as when I am taking a test or trying to focus in class. Now that I am actually focussing on it, hopefully I can find patterns and reasons to explain why my mind does what it does.




















10 comments:

  1. Haha, there have been many times I have wondered if you were upset but never asked. I guess know I understand you are just in deep thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there before too, although, most of the time i just end up falling asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one way to solve this problem is to seek out times to be "lost" in thought in the hopes of avoiding zoning out when it is and inopportune time, and being able to turn them into a productive time of thought. It's interesting because this is similar to my topic too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told my dad to read this post because I enjoyed it so much. He said he used to space out at school all the time when he was in high school. Im excited to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting problem. The way you pace around for hours and are lost in deep thought can only remind me of Gandalf contemplating his route through Moria. So i offer you his advice. Just follow your nose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have this problem. I'll just stand in the middle of the room sometimes just staring at a wall. My dad usually comes along to rudely remind me that the world doesnt stop for freeloaders like me. But maybe its like Star Wars. Maybe Earth is really Dagobah and you are learning the ways of the force with Yoda in force ghost form so no one else can see him. Try picking something up..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know where you are coming from about people asking you if you are sad or somethings wrong. Its like when people ask me why I'm so quiet. I'm usually just thinking about the inner workings of time or how hotpockets are made and zone out from all conversation. I'd also like to see where you go with the inheritance thing, I bet you could find some really neato stuff on that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This answers so many of my questions about you haha this was a great essay and very well written. I hope that since you were able to put these thoughts on paper, they'll be more easy to understand. I can't wait to read what comes next

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that almost every teenager goes through this. It really is a topic and I'm excited to see what come next in researching this.

    ReplyDelete