Sunday, December 8, 2013

Interview blog

For my interview blog I decided to interview my parents.  I thought that they might have some answers as to why I do what I do, especially because I know that my dad also does the same thing.  I started by asking him some questions about how deep thinking affects him in his life.  Many things that he said were similar to mine, but just as many were different. The information that I learned from my parents was very interesting and helped shed some light on the reasons that lead to why I get so lost in my mind.

 My dad told me that he gets caught up in thought a few times per day, and mostly during the weekdays.   He said that he is most commonly lost in thought when he is in the car or at work.  This made sense, those are pretty solitary moments and I could see why he would think a lot during those times.  I have to listen to music in my car all the time when I drive alone.  If I don't listen to music at a pretty loud volume I will get stuck in thought and that can actually be pretty dangerous if I zone out far enough.  My dad agreed with me that sometimes he can get "so fixated that everything else gets blocked out.. it's like everything other than what's on my mind is just pushed away".  The main difference that I found is that most of my dad's deep thinking moments are derived from things he is angry at or upset with.  I find that most of my daydreams or thought processes are derived from worry or curiosity.  However, I do believe that there is nothing worse than when a bad thing gets on my mind.  When I am upset about something it bores deep into my mind and sits there like a huge weight.  It consumes me and it's all I can think about.  I usually try to find a reason for why the bad event happened and I generally attribute it to something I did.  I believe in Karma and I try to sometimes believe that things just happen.  I know that I can't control everything that goes on in my life and that disappointments are just going to happen.  But, as much as I would like to believe that, I always come to the conclusion that there was some action I made along the road that screwed everything up for myself and I am solely responsible.  I think that what really causes the bad events to get to me is the fact that I can't control them after they happen, no matter what I do, those things have happened and are in the past.  That is an idea I will have to learn to accept.  My dad takes a very cynical approach to it all.  My dad's language is very strong and I'll do my best to censor it.  "Nick, there's two kinds of people in this world, people that are going to screw up your day, and people that have already screwed it up."  I think if my dad was less angry he wouldn't think so much about the people he hates and then as a result, get into bad moods. Literally, my dad hates everyone.  I can count his friends on one hand... but he likes it that way.  Being around him has taught me that I need to let things go and not bottle things up so much because the more I keep anger in, the more I will sit around and think about it, which is very detrimental. Thankfully I have sports to help clear my mind and release emotions.

My mom was a very interesting interview.  I learned some interesting things about some of my other family members that will help me better understand why I get lost in thought.  I also got to hear the opinions of someone who sees me when I think deeply.  My mom says it is very noticeable and that she, like many of my classmates, would think I was sad, but she knows better. My mom knows it's best to avoid my dad when he is deep in thought because, as most people know, he gets in terrible moods and just rampages around the house when he is upset.  But, when I told her about how I usually worry about things, she had some interesting insight,  she said that my sister is a constant worrier.  She said my sister always used to wander
around the house and worry about things, same with my grandmother.  So now I really think that there is some kind of hereditary connection involved.  The interviews went very well and really helped me learn a lot, I expect to discover more in time.

1 comment:

  1. I showed my dad your blog and I asked him if he used to daydream at all. He told me he used to daydream almost every day at school and the way he would pass his classes was shining his shoes. His freshman year english teacher would give him an A because he would shine his shoes.

    ReplyDelete